Babylon Eyes® Rose breeding
Interplant’s philosophy has always been to produce roses that are different. More than 25 years ago, the Ilsink family could see that there'd be an interest in a rose with a spot, but it would also need to be low growing, perpetual flowering and disease resistant. Over the years, carefull breeding took place to capture a distinct flower appearance with a multitude of constrasting colour combinations that continuously change as the flowers age, giving a kaleidoscope of colour throughout the Spring-to-Fall flowering season. A new shrub rose collection was born: ‘Babylon Eyes®’: compact, single-flowered roses producing a rich display of red, yellow, pink or orange flowers with an eye-catching centre in a contrasting colour.
The latest in Babylon Eyes Roses: a standard rose
In Europe, Rosa ‘Babylon Eyes®’ produces flowers from March/April until far into the autumn, and this shrub rose requires no deadheading. These characteristics - and their unique eye-catching flowers - also make Babylon Eyes® roses the perfect choice for use in pots and containers. The introduction of the Babylon Eyes® was an immediate success being distinctively different: mass of blooms, continuous flowering, eye catching colours, lush green foliage, compact bushes and strong disease resistance. Both rose grower B.D. Rijnbeek Boomkwekerijen B.V. (picture above) and Interplant Roses are impressed by the many positive reactions to this new series of roses, looking at the major opportunities for this series, especially when used as an annual flowering plant on balconies and patios. As the dark winter months come to a close, people can’t wait to have colourful flowering plants blooming outside, and this is precisely when these new roses become available.
Selection of promising newcomers at Interplant Holland
Licensed growers The Netherlands
- B.D. Rijnbeek Boomkwekerijen B.V. / Mr Ben Rijnbeek / Halve Raak 49 / 2771 AC / Boskoop / Phone +31 (0)172 235 757 / e-mail email@example.com
- Rosa Mundo B.V. / Mr Geert Mooren / Megelsum 17 / 5864 CT / Meerlo/ Phone +31 (0)478 691 366 / e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rozenkwekerij Rien van Zuilen / Mr Rien van Zuilen / Burg. den Hollanderweg 2 / 2391 MD / Hazerswoude-Dorp / Phone +31 (0)172 587 990 / e-mail email@example.com
- Gebr. Seuren Rozenkwekerij B.V. / Mr John Seuren / Grubbenvorsterweg 44 / 5973 NB / Lottum / Phone +31 (0)77 366 25 50 / e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jac. Verschuren-Pechtold B.V. / Mr Hein Verschuren / Kalkhofseweg 6a / 5443 NA / Haps / Phone +31 (0)485 316 258 / e-mail email@example.com
Anthony Tesselaar Plants
In the USA, this new type of rose is being released through Anthony Tesselaar Plants and known as Sweet Spot® roses.
The term ‘sweet spot’ refers not only to the spot in the middle, but the idea that they can be used to colour up just about any spot. Sweet Spot roses are also known as The Decorator Rose, because of their bold, bright mix of colours seen everywhere in fashion right now. Four new varieties of Sweet Spot roses have been introduced last year: the Sweet Spot roses Calypso®, Peach®, Ruby® and Yellow®, all being compact and disease resistant. Download the Sweet Spot Brochure here or go directly to Anthony Tesselaar’s page
Getting in touch with Interplant Roses
Interplant Roses is a leading rose breeder of Garden Roses and other important rose types. Every year we introduce new rose varieties to our existing rose assortment. For any further information please get in touch with Interplant Roses. Go directly to our contact page. Tesselaar is the exclusive agent for Babylon Eyes Roses in the USA, Australia and New Zealand.
Finding your agent worldwide
Interplant Roses B.V. is the exclusive agent for the whole of Europe, except for the countries of France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Czech Republic and Italy. In this area, Pépinières Minier is your agent. Please contact them via firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.pepinieres-minier.fr. For the country of Poland, both Interplant and Pépinières Minier are non-exclusive agents.
For South-Africa, please contact Ball Straathof (Pty) ltd., Mr Allard Ilsink, e-mail email@example.com
- For Japan, please contact Keisei Rose Nurseries Inc., Mr Yasuyuki Hisada, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the USA, Australia and New-Zealand, Anthony Tesselaar Plants is your agent, Mr Philip Townsend, e-mail email@example.com